It has been a terrible cold & flu season this year and we are all trying are best to stay healthy through it! Sierra did have a pretty bad bout with the flu last week and it got me cracking my herbal medicine books looking for good ways to ward off, and kick the dreaded illness, to the curb. While reading Rosemary Gladstar’s home remedies book, I came across some pretty great stuff! She recommends lots of onions & garlic and notes that many of the traditionally healing herbs, like turmeric and cayenne, are present in traditional curry powders. So- get your curry on! I for one don’t mind that prescription a bit. Another recipe she shares (and notes: is not for the faint of heart) is her Hair-Raising Cider. She recommends that you make a batch before cold season starts so you have it on hand but, I say, get one going right now- who knows how long this cold season will be around.
Hair Raising Cider
- 1 Quart vinegar
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 head garlic, peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup freshly grated horseradish
- 2 Tablespoons powdered turmeric
- cayenne pepper
- 1 Cup local honey (or more to taste)
1. Combine the vinegar, horseradish, onion, garlic, turmeric, and a pinch or two of cayenne. Cover and let sit in a warm place for 3-4 weeks.
2. Strain the mixture, add the honey, and rebottle. Refrigerate. Take 1 to 2 tablespoons at the first sign of a cold and continue throughout the day (approx. every 2-3 hours) until symptoms subside.
Here’s to a healthy winter!